in the first week of January 2009 we made a few micro-predictions. Seeing that it’s almost the end of the year let’s see what came true…
Let’s recap and see how many of the 2009 predictions came true…
- Large number of local Magazines & Newspapers will decrease their online budgets & fall even further. The exact opposite will also be true… we have seen immense downsizing and even closing of some Magazines while some have changed focus into being exclusively online like the magazine Maverick becoming The Daily Maverick. Media24 have now also built an online team. Details of that are still shaky but I’m sure Alistair Fairweather can tell you more. Prediction: True
- MXit shall offer peer-to-peer micro-payments (Transfer Moola between contacts), become more ’social’ & adopt QQ monetization techniques. FNB, Standard Banks mimoney are both available on MXit and there are a few games available on the mobile social platform too. Prediction: True, now wechat
- The local online marketing agencies will have their feathers ruffled, with the rise of a new player, disrupting their comfortable positions.. Instead of explaining this I shall refer you to Uno de Waal, Adii and the Perel Trio for opportunities missed by agencies 🙂 Prediction: True
- An internationally funded South African Web Start-up will change the way non-profits and NGO’s communicate and generate revenues globally. . The Given Gain Platform has already facilitated 36,305 philanthropists to give $38,007,825.06 to 1,870 projects. Prediction: True
- Mail & Guardian Tech- Sport- Thought Leader mu-blogs will continue the downward spiral until bloggers get paid or the management improves. Prediction: Up to you 🙂 When last did you read Techleader or visit Amatomu?
- Economic crisis, to continue, for@least 2 more years creating the perfect environment for innovation unlike anything seen around the wwworld. Apparently we’ve seen the worst of the global economic crisis already. Prediction: True
- Living Labs will change the lives of many previously disadvantaged people on the Cape Flats and then be replicated throughout South Africa. See Mobile Counselling training with the National AIDS Helpline. Prediction: True!
- Friendfeed will be in 2009 what twitter was in 2008. Follow Your Web AddiCT on Friendfeed here or, the mico-blogging platform, twitter here Facebook bought friendfeed in 2009. Prediction True
- At no9,
from South Africasomewhere unknown, will come an idea. Like number 7, it’ll be worth spreading. The self-proclaimed experts won’t get it. You will Prediction True. Have you met BTC?
That makes 8 and a half predictions true out of the 9 micro-predictions for 09. Not bad don’t you think? now… what does 2019 have in store for you?