Alot of people have asked me what exactly an SEO does. This video explains things nicely. Before highlighting the Search Engine Optimization process as explained in the video above many of you have asked why I don’t blog about SEO more often on this blog. There are 2 reasons:
- This is not an SEO blog and was never intended to be. I do use this blog as a testing ground to better understand various aspects of SEO that I’m continually learning and then implementing with the various companies I work with.
- One you’ve discovered an aspect of SEO that could provide you with a competitive advantage amongst your competition would you elucidate those finding with the rest of the wwworld? Didn’t think so.
A few more things I’d like to highlight is that Search Engine Optimization is NOT a once off exercise either. SEO does not require you to be a Ninja/Guru/Magician or anything else some folks like to call themselves. SEO is not Rocket Science either.
Here is the SEO process explained. It occurs as an endless loop (not once off).
- It starts with Keyword Research, Competitive Analysis and the setup of statistical tracking programs like Omniture of Google Analytics.
- Up Next we align those keywords with various pages on the domain or create new pages to ‘catch’ the traffic that comes with those keywords.
- Optimize pages for targeted Keywords
- Build links to the domain or various pages
- Wait for search engines to index the content and links (this process takes time)
- Rankings and traffic will improve over time
- Lather. Rinse. Repeat (its a repetitive process after all)
I’ll be blogging more about SEO at the company blog, MIH SWAT, about the following topics on a monthly basis:
- 21 Secrets of Top Converting websites.
- Successful Information Architecture.
- Link Building Basics.
- News Search Optimization
- Scaling up your SEO Campaigns
- Enterprise Level SEO
- Duplicate Content & Multiple Site issues
- Selling Search to the C-Suite