I remember being a kid, still at primary school, when an ad (embedded below) for this game came on KTV and it was the only thing I wanted my mom and dad to get me. That game was BattleShips and I was amazed at the technology that allowed me to play BattleShips with my friends. *Batteries not included* This all changed after I had my first experience with a computer though but the memory of the TV ad lived on in the back of my head.
Do kids still play board games now that the computer and mobile phone is used for everything from work to play and everything in between? Our mobile team at MIH SWAT put together the Naval Strike Free iPhone game which is based on the Battleships game to fine tune their iPhone app development skills. Some of the features include the ability to play against your friends via Bluetooth or challenge strangers via Apple’s Game Center.
If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch head on over to iTunes and give it a go. If you have a US or any other country specific iTunes account simply search for ‘Naval Strike’ in the App Store.
Playing the AI might get boring fast so the best option would be to get an iPhone toting friend or 2 to download and invite them via BlueTooth. If you want to challenge a player using Game Center try the following:
To ensure Game Center connectivity, please follow this peering sequence to play an opponent over Game Center;
1. Both players must be connected to the internet cloud.
2. Player B has Naval Strike closed. Naval Strike must NOT be open in the background. Press home button twice to find out if game is open in the background
3. Player A starts Naval Strike
4. Player A invites Player B as follows
a. Select “Multiplayer”
b. Select “Online”
c. Select “Invite Friend”
d. Select a Friend. Which in this example is Player B
e. Select “Next”
f. Select “Send”
5. Player B receives push invitation and selects “Accept”
6. Naval Strike will open on player B’s device, and announce that is it connecting.
7. When both players have their state set to “Ready”, Player A can select “Play Now”
8. Vessel positioning can now start and it is game on!
There will be a competition giving away a few iTunes vouchers starting soon so starting sinking those battle ships 🙂