As promised in the #makeithappen post I’ve been spending more time off the couch and focussing on my fitness with the goal to run 5km. Going from zero running to running 5km can be a daunting task but luckily there is help available online. Introducing the couch to 5k running program by Cool Running.
Follow the Couch to 5K running plan or use our C25K mobile app to go from couch to your very first 5K. Follow this beginner 5K training plan schedule and sign up for a 5K race.
First off, you may be asking, “exactly how many miles is a 5K?” A 5K is 3.1 miles. We’re here to help you achieve your goal of beginning to run your first 5K. Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to run in the first place.
You should ease into your 5K training plan gradually. In fact, the beginners’ program we outline here is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you to begin running a 5K or 3.1 miles and on a regular basis in just two months.
It’s easy to get impatient, and you may feel tempted to skip ahead in the program, but hold yourself back. Don’t try to do more, even if you feel you can. If, on the other hand, you find the program too strenuous, just stretch it out. Don’t feel pressured to continue faster than you’re able. Repeat weeks if needed and move ahead only when you feel you’re ready.
There is also an app for that 🙂 but is only available on iOS since the last time I checked. I’m an Android user waiting to try the Microosft Lumia phone so needed something that’d work on both. This is how I rediscovered my current favourite app Adidas miCoach.
Turn your phone into a personal coach; miCoach is your smart running companion on Android phones. The app uses GPS and real-time voice coaching to pace you through your exercise regardless whether you are indoors or outdoors. Additionally get access to hundreds of strength & flex training exercises to achieve your fitness goals. miCoach works with many adidas top athletes and coaches to offer you the best improving speed, endurance and strength. Train smarter and be faster with miCoach!
I was able to program the Couch 2 5k weekly programs on micoach.com so now am following the program in the app after syncing. Some of my favourite features of the miCoach Fitness & Running app are:
- Track your workouts: the app measures distance, pace/speed, calories burned and elapsed time.
- Analyze your data: get your run- and workout score and check your performance in animated charts (also in landscape)
- Display your route on Google Maps and calculate a detailed elevation profile
- Premium voice coaching by selected adidas athletes and highly customizable audible alerts. A sexy female voice keep pushing me to go further, faster or slower 🙂
- Easy access to your music during your activity and deep integration with Google Play Music. I can enjoy my favourite playlists while using the miCoach app.
- Track your progress and reach your goals: access your latest achievements and major milestones.
- Get stronger, get in shape, loose weight: access to more than 400 strength & flexibility fitness exercises and practice by instructional videos.
- Gear Section: track your shoe usage. I’ve run/walked over 128km in one pair of shoes already.
- Sync to miCoach.com cloud to save and view detailed analysis of your workouts.
Here’s to reaching the 5km mark in a few weeks. Let’s #MakeItHappen.